1. Shut down the computer/phone/printer/tablet. Turn it back on. Simple, right? This one easy step can fix many problems especially if you haven’t turned the device off and on again in awhile. Printers rarely get turned off and on so they are receptive to this action.
2. If your internet isn’t working, turn off the modem/router and turn it back on. This can be a tad tricky depending on if you have a modem/router combination or you have 2 separate devices. If you have a modem/router combination, there should be an on/off switch on the back of the modem/router. If there isn’t, pull the power cord out, wait 10 seconds, and then plug it back in.
If you have a separate modem and router, unplug both devices from power. (please tell me you can figure out which is the power cord). Plug in the modem first. Wait 2 minutes until all the lights are on or flashing. Then plug in the router. Try your internet again. This works even if one device is not connecting but all other devices are.
3. OK, this one is embarrassing but please make sure it’s “plugged in” or the battery hasn’t run out. No more needs to be said.
4. Got an error message? Take a picture with your smartphone. Those cryptic error messages can sometimes be very helpful in solving or at least diagnosing the problem with your computer.
5. If your printer isn’t working, try these steps:
- Turn off the printer. Unplug it from power. Wait 2 minutes. Plug it back in and turn it back on.
- If it’s wireless, reset your modem/router as described in Step 2.
- If it’s connected by a USB cable, disconnect the cable from the computer and reconnect it.